Welcome to Smart Justice
Smart action for a safer community
Smart Justice seeks to enhance the safety of all Victorians by promoting understanding of criminal justice policies that are effective, evidence-based and human rights compliant. In short, Smart Justice is about smart action for a safer community.
The organisations involved in Smart Justice have a vast array of experience working in the criminal justice system with those affected by it; victims, offenders and others. We know the impact of crime and we are passionate about promoting safe and vibrant communities. That’s why we support Smart Justice.
The Smart Justice project is built on a joint commitment to:
- healthy, diverse and inclusive communities
- respect for human rights and enforceable human rights protections
- enhanced support for victims of crime
- stopping violence
- greater focus on crime prevention and cost-effective crime prevention strategies
- greater resources to address the causes of crime and repeat offending
- sentencing options that address the causes of offending
- a health-focused response to reduce alcohol abuse and related violence
- reducing the use of knives and other weapons
- policing that avoids unnecessary use of force and that builds community confidence